Fantastic Pho at Vietnam Restaurant

I’ve been to quite a few pho places in Seattle, and I’ve finally found one that might be a consideration as my favorite.

The simple-named Vietnam Restaurant is, in many ways, typical of other pho joints in town: cheap bowls of pho, cream puffs, bright lights, indifferent service, and nasty bathrooms. But as much as the recently reviewed Pho Thy Thy fell short of Than Brothers’ quality, Vietnam Restaurant exceeded it. Most striking was the quality of the broth. This one was meaty and deep with nice anise notes; I almost always put chili oil in the broth, but I liked this broth so much, I wanted to enjoy it just as it was.

Enjoy I did. And I’m looking forward to more trips up 15th in Ballard to make sure this wasn’t a fluke. Given the recommendations I received about Vietnam Restaurant in the past, I believe this is, indeed, the fantastic pho of my future.

Vietnam Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Tags:

7 Responses to “Fantastic Pho at Vietnam Restaurant”

1. February 19, 2009 at 9:23 am #

We need a Vietnamese restaurant in Fremont so badly! Actually at least 3. We need a standard meal place, a pho place (with a veg option please), and a deli with great Banh Mi (though Baguette Box semi fills that role). Ballard is close but I need one here. Now. Please. Ok, I realize that had nothing to do with your post but I had to get it off my chest.

2. Lilian
    February 19, 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Hi Jay! Just stopped by to see what you were writing about lately. This made me laugh because just yesterday I had horrible pho at a restaurant called Absolutely PHO-bulous here in LA.

3. admin
    February 21, 2009 at 5:35 pm #

Michael, it’s a good rant. We need some good Vietnamese food at the top of Queen Anne, too. I’d be curious to know your favorite Vietnamese places, albeit outside of Fremont.

Lilian, thanks for stopping by. Nice name, and too bad the pho was sub-par. I’ve heard decent things about another funny name place here called What the Pho, and will have to give it a try sometime.

4. JimS.
    January 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

Jay…really….Than Brothers the best in town? Seriously ? The WalMart of Pho? The most ordinary Pho in Seattle ? THAT’s your favorite? I guess this is all subjective but seriously, I’m scratching my head here.

Check out Pho 900 on Broadway, or Pho So #1 on Jackson Street. Just a suggestion.

BTW, I agree with your assessment of Pho Cyclo. Even though lots of people already know what they want (Pho-wise) when they walk into a Vietnamese restaurant, not everyone does the second they sit down. Their soup is decent but gettting the bum’s rush anywhere can be pretty off-putting.

5. admin
    January 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

Jim, I appreciate your suggestions. And your questioning of my opinion!

Yeah, I should say that Than Brothers is “a” favorite of mine. I do happen to like it, and appreciate its availability in many locations – though some locations are better than others. That said, I’m always interested in discovering new places. And…I’ll likely want to start cooking pho myself!

6. JimS.
    March 9, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

Jay,
    I finally got around to trying Vietnam Restaurant for Pho, and I agree with you– they’re a little better than Than Brothers. However, if you haven’t tried Pho 900 on Broadway yet, you really should– they are standout (IMHO, of course). The only problem with them is occasional inconsistency, but even on lesser days they’re better than most others. My other favorite, Pho So #1, is consistently good, though a totally different taste.

7. admin
    March 10, 2010 at 11:54 pm #

Hi Jim,

Glad you liked Vietnam. And thanks for writing again. I’ve been on a bit of a ramen run lately, but will definitely keep your suggestions in mind and report back after checking out those pho places.

~Jay