Belfast, Maine: Young’s Lobster Pound

I’m still trying to catch up on blogging some September meals on the road. But as it’s a new month, I thought I’d try to set a goal of writing up food reports as they happen (whenever possible).

So…today I’m in Maine, having traveled from Waterville to Castine. The coast is beautiful, and I’m lucky to be in the area as the trees approach peak foliage.

And I’m lucky to be in the land of lobster. Heck…in Maine, even McDonald’s sells lobster rolls. But that’s not where I wanted to eat. Since I’m staying in Belfast, I decided to try Young’s Lobster Pound. There’s basically a big room with lobster and crab tanks, and a counter from which to order. Then a choice of picnic tables, either outdoors overlooking the water, or indoors on the upper level. You can order plates of steamed lobsters, crabs, clams, and more. I was in the mood for a lobster roll, which came with pickles and chips, and I added cole slaw to round out the meal.

This would be a nice setting during nice weather. Unfortunately, the weather was a bit gloomy, as were the workers.  And the lobster roll was so-so. Decent chunks of lobster, but I’ve tasted better elsewhere. Maybe I can find a place en route to Rhode Island tomorrow, if time allows. (To end on a more upbeat note, what follows is a colorful photo I took yesterday: a peaceful place to relax at Colby College in Waterville.)

Tags:

8 Responses to “Belfast, Maine: Young’s Lobster Pound”

1. jennie
    May 6, 2009 at 11:25 pm #

i was wondering how much lobster is up there? I live in Ohio, and it’s really expensive here. would there be a way we could buy some and it could be sent here?

Thank you.
    Jennie

2. admin
    May 7, 2009 at 7:21 am #

Thanks for writing, Jennie. I’d recommend googling them and giving a call to ask for pricing, as that can change.

3. Ray, from Waterville, Maine
    May 24, 2009 at 2:31 pm #

Lobster rolls are not the best thing to order at Youngs. You should crack into a steaming hot lobster and their steamed clams are the best I’ve had anywhere. They also have no problem with customers bringing their own condiments, like chips, salads and drinks. I even saw a family with a crock-pot set up once! It helps to keep the cost down and feels like home. Youngs is the best!

4. Todd
    August 20, 2009 at 9:55 am #

I agree with Ray. Young’s is the best. Get a full lobster and a net full of steamers. Simply the best! Especially on a beautiful day. Jay, I’d like to know where you’ve had better lobster rolls, so I can try those places.

5. admin
    August 24, 2009 at 9:11 am #

Yeah, I had a hunch that whole lobster might be better. But that was a little more a production than I was wanting at the moment. I wish I remembered the names of the places where I’ve had lobster rolls that were better – at least on the days that I ate them. One place was in Kittery, and another maybe in Portsmouth? That said, I’m definitely open to suggestions of where any of you would suggest some good lobster-rolling.

6. Chad
    September 8, 2009 at 8:25 am #

I can’t believe you didn’t like Young’s. This is my favorite place on earth. I was still hoping for a better value but the scenery and the quality of the lobster and mussels can’t be beat.
    Just take a 12 pack of your favorite beer and a couple of side dishes and you’ll never want to leave.

7. DaleMarie
    October 21, 2009 at 9:26 am #

Can’t resist saying something! Am right now looking for info about sending my daughter-in-law in NJ a lobstah dinner from Young’s. the BEST and freshest lobster dinners and clams. Definitely not the place for a lobster roll, thought the lobster is fresh. My best lobster roll vote is the Corner Restaurant on Route 3 in Liberty ,Maine. About 30 minutes from Belfast on the way to Augusta. Just a touch of mayo, lots of really fresh lobster meat..in fact, double the lobster I’ve had anywhere else.

8. Marlene Miller
    December 15, 2009 at 8:39 pm #

I agree that Youngs is the best for whole lobster. Wecasset, ME is good for the lobster roll at Red’s Shack..